Monday, February 6, 2012

Apple Cinna-Mini Muffins


Don't let the picture fool you, these are absolutely delicious! Even my junk food junkie, conventional food eating friends like them. A.K.A. People who eat wheat, grains, gluten, refined sugar and junk food in general. Now that is saying something. I just created this recipe tonight and after eating four of them, I decided it was definitely time to post these little babies. There isn't much rise to the batter so you can feel free to fill to the top of the muffin pans but aside from that, they are simply scrumptious! Very easy to throw together, as I mentioned earlier, I didn't even use a recipe, I just wrote everything down as I added it to the bowl. They have a very lovely, lightly crispy exterior and a soft, moist interior. Wonderful flavor and great for fixing a sweet craving. I could see these being a fabulous breakfast, snack or dessert. They might be muffins but they are not your typical bland and somewhat flavorless muffins, they almost count as cupcakes considering how tasty and satisfying they are.

Apple Cinna-Mini Muffins

1/4 Cup Tapioca Flour - (I REALLY love this stuff!)
2/3 Cup Almond Meal (You could use Almond Flour here too if it's all you've got.)
4 Tablespoons Almond Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 Cup Maple Sugar OR other Granulated Sweetener Equivalent
4 Tablespoons Applesauce
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup OR Honey, Agave or Other Similar Liquid/Syrup Sweetener.
2 Tablespoons Melted Butter - Or Oil if you are doing Dairy Free.
1/2 Teaspoon Molasses
2 Eggs OR - Flax or Chia Eggs if doing Egg Free, I have not tested how well this works though.
1 Apple, Peeled, Cored and Finely Diced

Place Tapioca Flour, Almond Meal, Almond Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Maple Sugar in a bowl, mixing well. Add Applesauce, Maple Syrup, Melted Butter, Molasses and Eggs, stirring until well combined. Mix in Finely Diced Apple and spoon into a Mini Muffin Pan. I did not grease, oil or butter my pans and they did not stick bad at all but you may still want to grease, oil or butter your pans for easy release. Bake at 325 degrees for 18-23 minutes. Mine took exactly 20 minutes to perfection but every oven is different. You could probably do these as full size muffins or even bread but I do not have the baking times or temps for those. Makes approximately 2-1/2 to 3 dozen Mini Muffins.

Warning:
Be warned though, if you make these... they go really quickly.  Yum!
- Also on a side note, if you don't care for fairly sweet things, you may want to cut back on the sweetener in this recipe. I really wanted something sweet since I spent over an hour staring at bakery, snack cakes and sweets in the grocery store, so I made them nice and sweet. However if you opt for a less sweet version, just cut the Maple Sugar/Granulated Sweetener out, it wont change the consistency at all. If you want it even less sweet than that, replace some of the Maple Syrup with equal amounts Applesauce to keep the moisture ratio and consistency the same.

This picture seriously doesn't do it justice, they are much cuter in person. My apologies, I have to learn how to use Macro on my Digital Camera so I can get clearer, up-close shots. Bear with me folks.

Until then, have fun and - Happy, Healthy Baking!
Baked anything delicious lately? Comment and share with us! 
Have you tried baking these? Did you alter the recipe or bake them exactly? How did they turn out?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting such a wonderful link-up, I hope to participate in more of them in the future.
    - Samantha of The Nutrition Tradition Blog.

    ReplyDelete